Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Taking Over The World

Villains the world over all have their own reasons for wanting to take over or destroy the world.  Some of their plans focus on defeating the hero, others just want their bidding done without question.  Regardless of why or how they try to complete their plans, would hero stories be worth reading if it weren't for powerful villains?

Finally, all of the pieces are in place.  I have planned for every contingency.  I have backup plans for my backup plans.  There are escape routes for my most dedicated personnel. Even some of the common cannon fodder may survive to serve me another day.  No big loss if they don't, they were just scum I hired off the street.  What remains of them can just as easily return there.

The expenses for this endeavor didn't make a dent in my total assets.  Which is fortunate because I will need to grease a few more wheels in order to maintain my position once I sit on my throne.  It would be a shame that so many people compromise their morals for the right amount of cash, if that fact didn't open so many literal and figurative doors for me.  Police officers in my pocket.  City officials looking the other way while licenses are handed out and permits are violated.  State legislators fighting laws that would hurt my plans, but actually help their constituents.  A few campaign contributions, some donations to the right charities, out and out bribes.  If any of them knew how much I had squirreled away from my business practices, legit and otherwise, they would demand so much more.

So much control.  So many people respecting and fearing me.  All of this from someone that couldn't even control his own life for so many years.  A drunk for a father.  A mother that was pregnant almost as often as she was high.  Siblings that were too busy getting into their own trouble to notice me doing what I had to in order to survive.  A beloved neighborhood pet or two disappears, only to be returned once a reward is offered.  Money that wouldn't be missed vanishes.  Car tires go flat just when I happened to be close enough to help, for a small fee of course.  Such subtle beginnings for a man that is about to rule the world, even if only from the shadows.

Now, in a matter of hours, my plans for the night will begin.  Those that are fated to be hurt will be hurt.  Those that must die will die.  As the dust clears, everyone will know my name.  They will look up to me and cheer for my leadership or quiver in fear of my anger.  It is only right that I take my place above everyone else.  I wonder if I should choose the material for my statue, or give the people the impression of control by letting them "decide."

If you were to rule the world, what is the first thing you would do?  What would your enemies fear about you the most?

No comments: